Bud vases from last weekend
Feeling a bit boring and standard. Want to have some features a bit more exaggerated like the high shoulder in bottom left
Studio addition this week: “mudslinger” mixing attachment
Got a ton of porcelain from a potter at my community studio. I haven’t actually used it before (lol) but I know it to be finicky – wanted to make sure the slip was broken down really well
Exploring new vase designs
Mugs trimmed & ready to be handled
Trimming is probably my favorite part of the process. Removing excess to reveal a sense of the final piece underneath
Experimenting with beveled sculptural mugs compared to a traditional pulled mug
Handles are tricky: too narrow and it feels flimsy and cheap, too wide and it gets clunky and awkward
Testing cup size & shape
Trying a handling technique that someone from my community studio taught me earlier this year
Planters with drainage holes and saucers
Overall pretty happy; if I make this simple design again I would make sure the walls are super straight and consider cutting down the saucer width/height.
12-minute 5lb planter
Trimming cylinder planters
Decided to switch up the clay body to a speckled buff. It is purple when moist (looks brown under the late night lighting)
Simple planters in progress in the damp box
Previous studio tenants left behind this deconstructed plastic shelving unit and a roll of thick plastic sheeting. I repurposed them to store in-progress work by wrapping the shelf and creating a closure door.
Large 8lb planter thrown last night. Throwing large amounts of clay (6+lbs) I like to split the clay ball in half and center that bit first, then combine the two on wheel. This makes sure the core is centered.
Tonight I tried to center all 8lbs as a challenge and the pot wasn’t successful so I’ll continue on the two part center for now
~75lbs of reclaim wedged and ready 💪
bone dry clay rehydrating. the 5 gallon buckets contain more than 50lbs of clay
reclaimed clay in various states of plasticity
picked up ~200lbs of reclaim clay from a local potter in the city for free and got burritos after. broke in the new wheel with a few practice pots.
Found this homemade work table for $30 and although the top was worn down and legs were pretty wobbly it seemed worth it considering the cost of new lumber and labor. Dropped some screws into the 4x4s and added a fresh piece of masonite on top. It’s like a new table!
Should I give the legs a fresh coat of white or a fun pop of color?
Big day. Picked up my wheel!
Have been following classified ads for months and couldn’t find what I wanted. Thinking with many people losing community studio access they were in short supply so I purchased new. It should be in working condition for 20-30 years so it will be a worthwhile investment.
waxing bottoms of pots I made in February/March. I was exploring bottles and egg cup forms. my community studio recently opened for glazing in the parking lot but I like to let my wax set for at least a few hours before glazing
my space in the studio with @ethan and our artist friend. starting to feel real after unpacking some bisqueware. it feels surreal and probably premature to have this private studio as a green potter (3 years of practice) but Covid had its own plans. feeling fortunate to be able to continue my creative practice.
the same potter who had the wedging table also made this unique shelving unit ($15) which will be great for production work.
unloading the wedging table. found online coincidentally for only $20, handmade by a potter moving out of state. the plaster top was so thick and heavy we needed 3 sets of hands to move it